Code of Conduct
Hastur Games offers a wide variety of games and play opportunities that are enjoyed for social interactions, complex strategies, entertaining characters, and an overall atmosphere of friendly competition. While the objective of many of our events is to determine the skill level of each player involved, our ultimate goal is to ensure that every participant, spectator, and customer has fun in a safe and pleasant setting. It is this attitude that Hastur Games wishes to emphasize at all of our events. Regardless of the size of any prizes, adherence to the Hastur Games Code of Conduct helps to ensure that all participants, including players, spectators, and event staff at our stores and the events we host, have an enjoyable experience.
Hastur Games Code of Conduct
All staff, players, spectators, customers, and visitors are expected to conduct themselves in a way that ensures all participants, customers, spectators, and staff enjoy themselves as much as possible. Any conduct that makes it not fun for others to participate, observe, shop, or be at a Hastur Games store or event is not allowed.
Hastur Games reserves the right to ask anyone to leave at any time and may at our sole discretion prohibit you from future events should you violate any portion of the The Hastur Games Code of Conduct.
Banned Behaviors and Items:
- Foul or Abusive Language – Use of any discriminatory, derogatory, abusive, or foul language may result in expulsion from any event without prizes, at the sole discretion of Hastur Games staff.
- Bullying – Bullying behaviors, including hazing activities, may result in expulsion from the store.
- Theft – Stealing from the store, customers, participants, or staff will, at minimum, result in a 30 day ban at the store as well as an official report to local law enforcement and outsides sanctioning bodies for events (such as Wizards of the Coast and Fantasy Flight Games). Hastur Games reserves the right to search any container, bag, package, case, or item at any time in our venues or at any event we host, run, or participate in.
- Improper Attire – Customers or participants who wear obscene, demeaning, disruptive, or overly revealing attire, as determined at the sole discretion of Hastur Games staff, may be asked to leave the store to change.
- Poor Personal Hygiene – If it becomes apparent from appearance or personal perfume that a customer hasn’t taken a shower or washed their clothes in a while, as determined by the staff, we may ask them to leave and do so.
- Carry-In Food -- Although Hastur Games carries a lot of different drinks and edibles we do allow carry-in food and drink, but we do ask that people take special care to keep our store clean.
- Drugs or Alcohol — Anyone caught selling, using, carrying, or under the influence of illegal drugs at Hastur Games, including in the parking lot, may receive a life-time ban on the first offense without warning. Anyone caught selling, using, carrying, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked to leave.
- Buying and Selling Singles with Other Customers – Though we encourage trading among our players and customers, all buying and selling for cash must be done with Hastur Games. We offer an in-store currency of store credit tokens to aid customer-to-customer purchases in-store.
- Fairness: Games cease to be fun when players break the rules to achieve victory. A player should prefer to lose a game than to win by cheating.
- Taking advantage of inexperienced players or other customers (known as “hustling”) is not fair and will not be tolerated. Similarly, fixing games with other players in order to win prizes is not permitted.
- Exploiting Hastur Games events and venues for personal gain through trades or promotion of competing businesses is prohibited.
- All decisions made by the judge are final. Store employees have no influence on the decisions of the judge.
- Honesty: Players of any game should strive to act honestly while playing that game. If a player inadvertently breaks a rule during a game and becomes aware of the error before his or her opponent or a judge, that player should make the opponent and the judge aware of the misplay.
- All customers are expected to inform Hastur Games staff immediately if they observe an illegal activity in our stores or at our events. Not doing so is a violation of the Hastur Games Code of Conduct. Additionally, observing illegal activity and not reporting it makes the observer an accessory to the crime.
- Respect: Players, spectators, customers, staff, and property should be treated with the same respect that players would expect for themselves and their property. Distracting an opponent or a judge to gain advantage shows disrespect to everyone involved in an event.
- Promotion of other businesses is disrespectful of the community and business of Hastur Games. This includes the promotion or sale of cards, games, or other items, including any form of online sales or events from other venues without the express written permission of a Hastur Games manager. Defiance of this rule is grounds for expulsion from events and/or denial of entry for future events at the sole discretion of Hastur Games staff.
- Please arrive on time for events. Keeping an entire tournament waiting for you is disrespectful. If you are going to be late or unable to attend, please contact us.
- Sportsmanship: Winning or losing with grace is vital to the enjoyment of any game. The desire to continue playing a game can be soured by players that berate their opponents after winning or losing a match. Demeaning or disrespectful comments or actions before, during, or after a game indicate poor sportsmanship and will not be tolerated.
At the end of the day we want all participants, spectators, customers, and staff to have had a fun and enjoyable experience. Thank you for making this possible by following the Hastur Games Code of Conduct.